Monday, October 13, 2014

Chickpeas, beetroot and Oats Falsfels

Chickpeas, beetroot and Oats falafels




I have never cooked with beetroots ever before. Though tasted them as part of salads and dips. Last week when we went to do our grocery shopping, hubby picked up some beetroots and asked me to cook something out of them.
I wanted to do something really healthy yet delicious. But was skeptical about the taste and what shall I make. Didn't  wanted to make something part of main course, so thought of doing some appetisers. So, the First though that came to my mind was to make Falafelfs. Then I decided to soak chickpeas in the night. In morning While I was gathering all the ingredients, packet of some flavoured oats lying in our kitchen pantry came in front of me, so I decided to use them too. Then thought to bake them, but again was confused of the taste. Then my savour Appe/paniyaram pan came to help where I was able to make my falatels in only 1/2 tbsp of oil.

Results were awesome and healthy. And we skipped our dinner as these were not only tummy but filling too...:)

And,  I am taking my healthy snacking ideas to Angie' Fiesta Friday..  Co hosted by lovely Hilda and Juliana once again this week..  :) 

So I am sharing my version of these easy, healthy, yummy and wholesome Falafels..:)

Ingredients
- 1 cup washed chickpeas/ white chana ( soaked overnight, and in morning boiled till its firm and not overlooked)
- 2 beetroots 2 medium sized ( pealed and grated)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 medium sized roughly chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1/4 cup any flavoured oats ( I used Quaker lemony veggie osts)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Peprika powder
- few mint leaves 3-4
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 2 tbsp. Gram flour/ Besan
- some oil for cooking

Process
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight and in the morning boil them till they are cooked till you achieve a firm texture . Ensure not to overlook them.
2. In a blender jar/ food processor add cooked chickpeas, grated beetroots, coriander chopped,green chillies, mint leaves,  chopped onion and garlic and pulse them together to form a very coarse paste. Please note the mixture SHOULD NOT look like a paste but the texture should be that of similar to bread crumbs.
4 once done, take the mixture out in a bowl. To this add, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, garlic powder, paprika powder, gram flour and 3/4th of the oats.
5. Mix everything together nicely to form a nice coarse mixture that binds together to shape the falafels
6. At this stage, if you want you can add a tbsp. Of olive oil. Though I skipped this step.
7. Now take a table full of the mix and shape them In small balls and press them a little between your palms. And roll them individually in the remaining oats. 
8. On medium flame, heat the pan. And just add one drop oil in each mould of the Appe pan.
9. Place your shaped falafel mixture in the. And cook from each side for about 2 minutes in minimum possible heat /flame.
10. Serve them hot, with mint coriander chutney, tahini sauce, yogurt dip, cheesy dip,or just with simple ketchup they will go with everything...:)








No comments:

Post a Comment